Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Time at the Family History Center

Since my last post, I've spent time at least once a week at my local Family History Center. Kudos to the great people who work at the Kingwood Texas Stake Family History Center.

I've spent time on the computers - mainly using ancestry.com which is free when I use it at the FHC. I've tried using findmypast.co.uk, but it is not as user friendly as ancestry.com. Maybe I'll try it again. I do love using the online databases, because the indicies created can find records so much faster than I ever could!

Otherwise, I've also spent time on the microfilm reader. We had the transparent belt (not sure what it's called) come off of the high magnification reader that I use... so yesterday we learned how to put that back together. :)

Another great website I've found recently (especially if you have relatives buried in Utah) is namesinstone.com - they match the map of the cemetery up with the sexton's record of where someone is buried. Wow! I have a 3rd great grandmother (Mary Jones Slack) that we knew the location of her grave, but there is no headstone. I found her on the namesinstone.com (ironically, her name isn't in stone) website and now I think I should be able to walk right to where she is buried the next time I get to the Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Happy searching! I'll be updating the Williams today... so much I've learned!

No comments: